You Won't Find These Rules On The BCC Website
The California cannabis industry has been operating by a self-imposed set of rules and guidelines for decades. While yes, it is definitely very important that you follow the BCC’s official rules and regulations for operating a marijuana business in California, it’s also just as important that you respect the “unofficial” rules as well.
The “Rules” in no specific order:
- First and foremost, live and run your business by The Golden Rule. Treat people how you want to be treated.
- Don’t Snitch. Even legal weed businesses bend/break the law from time to time. The last thing you need as an operator is to have some bad karma bite you in the ass right when you’re working through a tax issue that requires some “creative bookkeeping”.
- Stay In Your Lane. Keeping an eye on the industry for competitive analysis is one thing. Fixating on a competitor to the point where you’re wasting time is another. Make sure you’re not spending an unhealthy amount of time trying to crack the code to your competitor’s success. Unless you have an inside source of information, you’re never going to figure it out.
- Keep Your Word. Your word and your reputation mean a lot in the marijuana industry. Do your best to keep your word and not over commit to anything you can’t fully deliver.
- Pay Your Debts. Just because someone fronts you, and also happens to appear as if he doesn’t need your money, does not give you an excuse to pay late. Keep your word and pay your debts on time. You never really know what’s happening behind a businesse’s closed doors and how badly they may really need that money.
- Do What You Can, When You Can. When you have the ability to help someone or a group, do it. When you can’t, don’t. Sounds simple but you’d be surprised at how many people “forget” where they came from.
- Don’t Floss. Showing off all the time and over celebrating your success does little to attract new business opportunities.
- Be Careful Offering Credit. Now more than ever brands are eager to sell their inventory. Be careful who you front. Don’t let the fact that you need to move product motivate you into making a bad decision. Yes, the game is now “legal” but that doesn’t mean you can’t get burned.
- Go with your gut. If a person or situation feels shady, it is. A stoner’s intuition is unbelievably accurate.
If you really wanted to take the time I’m sure you could come up with a lot more to add to the list.
Feel free to use the comment section below and let us know if we’ve missed anything important that needs to be added. Pretty baked as I write this and have a feeling I forgot a rule or two.
THE TOP 10!
Subscribe to the NUGGETRY Top 10, our bi-weekly marijuana industry newsletter sharing the 10 most popular posts about Southern California products and brands. An exclusive collection of the information you need most.